What to Bring From Home to Your Oilfield Housing
Setting out for a new job at an oilfield can be an exciting and stressful time. You know that you will be settling in for an extended stay, but what will your new home be like? What should you bring from home to make it a happy place to be? What essentials do you need to bring with you so your new home is functional and meets your needs?
Man camps can look differently depending on where you go and what housing provider your corporation uses. Here is what you can expect to find at Iron Guard Housing and what we suggest you bring with you from home.
Iron Guard Housing Amenities
At Iron Guard Housing, we strive to provide a comfortable and functional environment that can be your home away from home. Each of our units comes with all the basic furnishing including beds, tables, chairs, and couches for the living area. We also provide linens and a washer and dryer. For the chefs out there, we provide kitchen utensils and dishes. Plus, every unit has free wifi.
What to Bring from Home
So, what should you bring with you? Focus on bringing the items you need for everyday function as well as a few items to make your space feel more like home and truly your own. Here are some recommendations:
- Memories from home. Items from home can help you through hard days and homesickness. Consider bringing some photos, letters, or other small trinkets to remind you of the people and places you love.
- Entertainment. When you are off duty, you’ll need ways to stay happy and entertained. Electronics like your cell phone, laptop, iPad, or Kindle are a great option. Just be sure to bring several chargers for each of your electronics and bring a secure way to store and protect them. Books, board games, or a small selection of art supplies can also offer fun activities. You may want to bring small sports equipment like a ball or a hacky sack.
- Extra blankets. While linens and bedding are provided, you may want to bring an extra set or a favorite blanket or pillow with you to ensure a good night’s sleep.
- Toiletries. Bring all the toiletries you would like to have over your stay. Be sure to pack a toothbrush (or two), toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and any other hair products, a razor, deodorant, and body wash or soap.
- Clothing and footwear. You will want to bring all your own clothes and shoes. Pack appropriately for the seasons during your stay and have an extra outfit or two in case anything gets damaged. Bring at least one nicer dress outfit for special occasions. Bring a good pair of boots as well as casual shoes and dress shoes.
H2: About Iron Guard Housing
At Iron Guard Housing, we make sure you have oilfield housing when you need it, for as long as you need it. We offer the two standard lengths of stay, 6 months and 1-year leases. Depending on the season and how long your project will take, we’re willing to offer additional lengths of stay in our mobile homes or short-term house rentals.